The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) is organizing an International Conference on Operational Safety: Enhancing the Operational Safety of Nuclear Power Plants (OS2020) – at the China National Convention Centre, Beijing, China from 11-15 May 2020.
The conference will feature a scientific and technical programme with discussions on topics central to ensuring the safe, secure, efficient and reliable long term operation of nuclear power plants (NPPs).
As NPP owners and operators face the challenge of maintaining the highest standards of safety while striving to improve plant performance through technical and organizational changes, improved life management, power upgrades and outage optimization. The conference will highlight enhancements in operational safety management at all stages of NPP operations from new build, existing and extended life operations
The conference will comprise an opening plenary session, six topical sessions and a closing plenary session
· Leadership and Safety Culture — Striving for Excellence
· New Build — Challenges and Opportunities
· Operational Performance Improvements — Getting Better at What We Do
· Corporate Oversight — Influencing Behaviours
· Long Term Operations — Extended Operations
· Operating Experience — Completing the Learning Cycle
The aim of the conference is to foster the exchange of information and experiences related to enhancing NPP operational safety during commissioning, start-up, ongoing operation and long term operation among representatives of new and existing nuclear operators, regulators, technical support organizations, construction companies and other relevant organizations.
Specifically, the conference aims to:
• Describe the role of leaders and highlight how coaching can drive continuous improvement;
• Discuss opportunities and lessons learned from new NPP construction;
• Explain the role of operational safety peer reviews as tools for confirming the commitment of NPP owners and operators to safety improvements;
• Present case studies that illustrate how the development of standards and improvements in risk management and in nuclear and industrial safety initiatives, together with an effective safety culture, can enhance operational safety performance;
• Discuss the role of corporate organizations in maintaining and enhancing operational safety throughout the lifecycle of a nuclear power plant;
• Review the management of long term operation of NPPs, including ageing management;
• Examine the importance of operating experience feedback and periodic safety reviews for the enhancement of operational safety; and
• Address the various challenges faced by new operators and existing NPP operators that are extending their fleets or restarting units, including human resource management, regulatory requirements, knowledge transfer to new staff, equipment performance monitoring and safety culture.
Anyone wishing to present a paper at the conference – either orally or in the form of a poster – must submit a synopsis of between 400 and 800 words in electronic format through the “Call for Abstracts” page and associated updated guidance linked at the top of this page. Paper copies cannot be accepted.
Please refer to the Announcement for a full list of technical topic areas for the submissions.
10 September 2019: Opening of synopsis submission through IAEA-INDICO
31 January 2020: Submission of Form for Submission of a Paper (Form B) and synopses
15 December 2019: Submission of Grant Application Form (Form C)
15 February 2020: Notification of acceptance of synopses
30 March 2020: Electronic submission of accepted full papers (10 pages maximum)
17 April 2020: Submission of oral presentations and posters
Please visit the following IAEA web page regularly for new information regarding this conference: